October 18, 2007

Retro holidays

When I was growing up my mom decorated the entire house for Christmas in orange and pink. She hated the color red (must be where I get it from!), but loved orange and a nice deep hot pink. She still uses the same decorations in those two colors today. I remember my stocking (which she made) was from this gorgeous paisley orange/pink/green fabric. I still have it. Of course, she likes those colors year round also, as she has an antique settee in the living room that is covered in orange corduroy, and a small loveseat sofa that is covered in pink velvet in the library. I always thought that was normal until I visited friends' homes and saw that everything was brown and beige. How boring!

Anyway, I made this holiday card with her in mind! The PP is from Cosmo Cricket's Hey Sugar collection and you can get it from Verve Visual, as is the snowflake that I used on the background (it's from the Winter Wonder stamp set). The main image is from SideShow stamps, and is embossed with white EP and the reindeer is colored in using a brown Zig marker. The sentiment is from Papertrey ink, the CS is SU and Bazzill, the snaps are from MM.

10 comments:

Amy said...

I love this card, Dana! Great story too. I'm glad your mom was an out of the box sort of gal. That's inspiring!

Hugs,
Amy

Dee Jackson said...

Dana, I love this card! The colors,layout and stamp are wonderful together!
I've been thinking about you I hope all is well with your family:)

Julie Campbell said...

I love reading your posts! Not only do you have great projects, your stories are always so fun! You must have grown up in a fun home! Ours was more.... mustard in the 70's & country blue in the 80's.... Bluck!

Alhambra Club said...

WOW, love this card, the retro look, it is great.

Shannan Teubner said...

Ok, Dana, SERIOUSLY. This card is flippin amazing. You should submit it for publication or something... cause it really really ROCKS!!

Corie said...

This is a true masterpiece!!! I agree -- you need to submit this one for publication!!

Anonymous said...

awesome card! I love the colors, layout, stamps--everything! I grew up in the 70s too and my mom made me a lime green, magenta and orange felt stocking--LOVED it!!

Jessica said...

i love holiday cards that go against the grain, and this one really stands out as unique! i love the retro vibe, too. So cool!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Absolutely stunning! I NEED that reindeer. Everything about this card is swanky and cool! Pink velvet? Sure beats the pumpkin and brown toile patterned couch we had growing up! ;)

Allison Rankin said...

This is brilliant...love the image, the colors...everything!