September 18, 2009

Sheetload Fall sketch challenge

Through a very lovely comment on my blog by Denise, I discovered Sheetload! They host monthly challenges and I liked this round so I decided to play along. It was a sketch, and although I rotated it and switched out the circle for an oval, I think it still works.

This card is a bit more involved, accessory wise, than I've been into lately, but it was fun to keep adding things, and hard to stop once I got started! *grin*
The challenge was to make a Fall themed card using the sketch provided in the Online newsletter/ezine, and I think the stamps from PTI's First Fruits were the perfect choice.

I also used a small piece of the patterned paper from the Autumn Abundance collection, but I had to change it a bit. Can anyone see what I did?  I began my card using white CS, so when I went to grab a piece of PP, I noticed it was made to match the vintage cream CS and was disappointed. But then I thought," Why not color in the cream lines with yellow to match the rest of the card?" So I did! I loved how it turned out, and, as you can see, the yellow matches perfectly and there is no cream to clash with my white!
The main yellow BG piece is embossed in a square pattern using a Score-Pal and again using the score-bug to make embossed dotted lines along side the original ones. I think it looks sort of quilt-like. So then I added the sentiment on a half-piece of a vintage label die-cut and covered it with twill. But the twill covered part of my pine branch up, so I stamped another one and after trimming it out, placed it on top of the ribbon. I added white gel-pen dots around the sentiment, and two chocolate buttons tied together with rustic twine. The pinecone is cut out and popped up to add dimention, and then, as a last touch, I faux stitched around the card with white and called it done! Phewwwww. *wiping brow*
(You can see in the right photo above, that I decided to add a flat bow to the card too!)

Thanks for stopping by today friends. I'm off for a weekend with my best friend, Mary (no hubster and kids!), to see her new apartment, celebrate her most recent birthday, explore the city of Binghamton and eat yummy foods (She mentioned wanting to make sweet-potato pie! *drool*)

Dana

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Very clever with the coloring -- Plus, I love that scored background piece!

B said...

LOVE this! :) The scoring is wonderful and I love the coloring of the paper with the copics! :)

Melissa said...

Beautiful! The scored background is great! You are so clever to color your paper. Have a wonderful weekend!!

Taheerah said...

Great 'Eureka!' moment with the Copics Dana! Loving the detail added with the Scor-Pal too, I have got to get one of those!!

Lee said...

Really lovely!

IamDerby said...

clever paper tip! its the simple things! Beautiful card! I hope you have a fabulous time with your friend.

Cheryl said...

I really like what you've done with this card. Great solution to the cream stripe! I'm partial to white myself, so I'm happy to see a way to change the color if I need to. All of the elements on this card are beautiful.

Serendipity said...

Very nice and you did a great job with it!! TFS!!!

BethieJ said...

Dana your cards are LOVELY!! I need to check out that site you mentioned! :)
Hope you had a FABULOUS time on your weekend with your girlfriend!! :) Did you make that pie! :)

anya said...

This is so pretty! Very resourceful coloring the patterned paper to match! :)

Bethany Paull said...

Incredible embossed bg! And I love the cut out pine branch.

Jessica said...

Fabulous! A lot going on here but you pull it together beautifully. Coloring the patterned paper was such a clever idea - i sometimes forget to think out of the box like that. Love it!

Call Me Crafty Al said...

you may want to check out this post. :)

http://sheetload.blogspot.com/2009/10/and-september-winners-are.html

LilGreenBug said...

Great card! What an "aha" moment to use the Copics on your paper! It all came together perfectly!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.