February 02, 2009

Happy Groundhog's Day!

Yes, you should expect it by now. This is one of my favorite celebrations of the year! Who can resist the chubby, furry, Punxsutawny Phil? (Except for when he sees his shadow and predicts 6 more weeks of winter! UGH.) I am so done with the snowy cold weather...

And yes, I made Spicy Groundhog cookies once again. But no one can resist the crunchy edges and chewy middle and spicy goodness of these cookies. And because I only make them once a year, they are a special treat. Both children take them to school/daycare, and my husband takes them to work, and no leftover cookies ever come home!

So good with a glass of soymilk!

Although I have shared the recipe before HERE, I'll type it again. These are egg and dairy free, but you can substitute whatever you like.

SPICY GROUNDHOG COOKIES

Sift together:

1 1/2 c. unbleached flour, 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour, 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 t. bkg soda, 1 t. bkg powder, 1 t. ground ginger, 1 t. ground cloves, 1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon.

Cream together:

1/2 c. vegan butter (I use Earth balance), 1 c. sugar.

Once fluffy, Stir in:

1/2 c. molasses, 1 egg yolk (I use Ener-G Egg replacer).

Gradually add the flour mixture to the rest and stir until incorporated. Form into a ball and chill, overnight if possible, but at least 3 hours. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick onto parchment lined baking sheets and cut out. Remove excess dough from around the cut-outs and re-roll. Place currents into dough for eyes. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, letting them rest on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes after removal from the oven. This is the third year I have shared these on my blog, and I have to say it gets harder to photograph them each time. I mean, how many different ways can you show a groundhog cookie?! I think I like last years photos best...

To top it all off, I found my first grey hair this morning. *sob* Actually, my husband found it when he was kissing me out the door. I didn't believe him at first, but he showed me in the mirror. *sigh* I'm only 31!!!!!

5 comments:

Corie said...

They look YUMMY!!!!

Jen said...

Yay! Food is back!

Anon said...

Cute cookies! I will have to find a highland cow shaped cookie cutter for a Scottish twist!

Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

The Cookies look so good! And on your other note...I have many, many, many grey hairs! That's ok, I don't mind!

Carrie

Anonymous said...

The Cookies look so good! And on your other note...I have many, many, many grey hairs! That's ok, I don't mind!

Carrie