February 02, 2007

Happy Groundhog's Day!

Because I woke up so early this morning, I decided to make cookies for our 7 year old foster son to take to school. He's been so excited about Groundhog's Day, talking about it all week in fact, so I dug through my cookie cutters and found my GROUNDHOG one!


Here's the recipe I used:

SPICY GROUNDHOG COOKIES

Sift together in a bowl:

1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

In a separate bowl, cream together until fluffy:

1/2 cup butter, softened (I use Earth Balance)
1 cup unbleached cane sugar
Blend in:

1/2 cup molasses (dark)
1 egg yolk (I used Ener-G egg replacer)

Slowly stir flour mixture into the buter/sugar mixture and mix well. Roll dough into a ball, wrap well and chill overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare two baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper or spraying them with non-stick spray. Roll out a small amount of dough at a time and cut out (preferably with a groundhog shaped cutter!). Place on baking sheets and decorate with currents for eyes. Bake 10-12 minutes, let sit on baking sheet for another 5 after removal from oven.
YUM!

4 comments:

michelle sturgeon said...

Groundhog cookies! OMG! how adorable! OK, next year, we are so doing groundhog cookies!

Debbi (no 'e' on the end) said...

How kewl is that? One of my neighbor's birthday is Groundhog Day....would love to make him some of these next year. Can you tell us where you got these cutters from? TIA

Dana said...

dddzstmpn, a friend of mine bought me the groundhog cutter at the Groundhog celebration in Punxsutawney, PA. She said there were booths of everything groundhog and she knew I'd like the cutter.
But I have also seen them online, try doing a search!

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd like to thank you for such a terrific quality forum!
I was sure this is a perfect way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Johnie Maverick
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/mothers-day-party-supplies.html]mothers day Party Supplies[/url].