February 05, 2007

Sunday breakfast

We were in the mood for something special for Sunday's breakfast so I made these French Breakfast Puffs. The recipe came from Tammy's Recipe Blog, which I LOVE reading! These were super simple and quick to make. Here's the recipe, with a few modifications to the original.

Preheat oven to 350F.
In a medium bowl, sift together:

1 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

In a separate bowl, cream together:

1/3 cup butter, softened (I use vegan Earth Balance)
1/2 cup sugar
Mix in:
1 egg (I use Ener-G egg replacer)
1/2 cup milk (I used Soy Egg Nog)

Add dry mixture to wet, stirring just until moistened. Don't overmix.
Fill greased, or paper-lined muffin tin with batter. I only filled 10, not 12.
Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for 2.

In a small bowl, mix together:
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

In another small bowl, melt 6 tablespoons butter.

Dip top of each muffin in melted butter and then in sugar/cinnamon mixture, coating entire top evenly. Devour!

The addition of egg nog instead of milk really made these scruptious. If I was going to use plain soy milk, I would have added a touch of vanilla to enhance the overall flavor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How lovely! They look delicious! :) I came here from the profile you created on my website, and enjoyed seeing this. :)