February 07, 2007

Calzones

Dinner last night was an unplanned, impromptu creation. I had been thawing some wholewheat pizza dough in the fridge, and I guess I took it out too soon. It started to rise inside the plastic bag, unbeknownst to me. So when I got home from work, there was this ENORMOUS mass of sticky dough sitting on the counter, all stuck to the bag and not at all usable for what I wanted. So I thought I'd make calzones out of it, because, let's face it, they are nothing to look at, even when they're done professionally!
I sauted some broccoli, mushrooms and chopped red peppers in olive oil with a touch of minced garlic. Mixed it together in a bowl with a small container of ricotta cheese, some shredded mozzarella, and 1/2 cup of shaved parmesan. I stirred in a fair amount of freshly ground pepper and filled the dough with this mixture, being sure to pull over and seal the edges by twisting and pressing with fork tines.


As you can see, I didn't do the best job of sealing it! But the amount of dough and mixture made two huge calzones, and we used our own marinara sauce for dip. I might do this again using broccoli and vegetarian sausage, or maybe spinach and mushrooms. We all thought it was delicious!

No comments: