March 29, 2007

Far out Baby!

Since purchasing some stamps from Sideshow Stamps earlier this month, they've just been in a heap o' rubber on my desk, feeling very forlorn and useless I'm sure. Last night while my husband gave the kids a bath, I spent 17 minutes in my studio and created both of these cards! Don't you just get giddy when a card comes together so quickly?!I stamped the owl image (so retro 70s, isn't she?) with timber brown Staz-On and used Pearl-ex pigment powders to 'color' her in. I used distress ink on the edges and mounted it on brown CS. Then I embossed the "Far Out!" image with white EP on the same brown CS. After looking at the colors for a few minutes, I choose some PP to match. Basic Grey Stella Ruby was the winner! I added a ribbon (actually the back side of a brown/green/pink ribbon from American Crafts) and 3 shiny metallic eyelets, and I was done. This LO was based on a Super Sketch Sunday challenge on Amy's blog. I went with #6, and kept it simple.I did the same thing here by stamping the image (in black) first and coloring in the eyes, then finding some PP to match. Basic Grey to the rescue again! This time it was Scarlett's Letter that jumped out at me. I wanted to mat the monkey with my giga scalloped square punch, but he was too big, so instead I tried using my corner rounder punch to make larger scallops. I read about doing that somewhere and hadn't tried it yet. As you can see, I totally FLOPPED on that! It looks horrible. I might need to practice a bit on aligning each side so I don't end up with wonky corners! Adhered him to the card with pop dots after adding some ribbon and I was done!
Whew. I can't believe I made 2 cards in about 15 minutes! I usually take HOURS, seriously. But I am glad that I used 3 of my new Sideshow Stamps!

5 comments:

Allison Rankin said...

These are terrific...I love that owl card (so groovy!)...

Anonymous said...

I really like they strip-ed-y backgrounds.
And I LOVE that monkey...can I get him on a t-shirt?

Craft Accident said...

Woo hoo! I love Sideshow stamps Dana! We keep running into each other... great minds think alike! :)

bichonpawz said...

It doesn't look crappy! I really like the way it turned out...your worst is still better than my best!

K said...

great cards! I love the funky images!