May 28, 2010

Greek Spinach Orzo Salad


No card today. Everything I've been creating lately can't be shown yet! Instead I thought I'd give you a recipe for one of our favorite warm weather dinners. We eat this at least once a week!

Greek Spinach Orzo Salad

12oz. dry orzo pasta
5 c. fresh baby spinach
1 small red onion, chopped (or half a large one)
1 1/2 c. chopped fresh tomatoes
1 c. pitted Kalamata olives, quartered if large, otherwise halved
1 1/2 c. feta cheese (we use tofeta to avoid the dairy)
1 c. your favorite vinaigrette dressing (mine follows)

After cooking your orzo until al dente, drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside to cool while you chop your tomatoes, olives, and onions. Have dressing ready. Mix everything in a large bowl. Stir more than you think you need to...it will help "wilt" the spinach a bit. Serve at room temp or chilled.

Dana's quick vinaigrette

3 T. lemon juice
1 T. red wine vinegar
1-2 T. honey
1/2 t. oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
1 t. kosher salt
1.4 t. freshly cracked black pepper
1 t. lemon zest (optional but tasty)
1/3 c. olive oil

Combine first eight ingredients in blender or mason jar. Add oil and emulsify! Shake before using because the honey settles on the bottom if not fully incorporated.


Thanks for stopping by today friends, do something creative (even if it's only cooking)!

21 comments:

Lindsay said...

Yummy! I love this salad and yours look scrumptious! Thanks for the recipe!

~amy~ said...

Yum!!!! thanks for the recipe! happy friday

Diane Jaquay said...

This looks TERRIFIC Dana! I love everything in this so I'm going to have to try it :)

Mary Maruscak said...

YUMMMMMMM.

Jackie Pedro said...

I am so making this! Looks delish, Dana! Thanks for the recipe!

Sue Ann said...

Looks terrific!!! We are salad people too in the summer ...... I use a ton of avocados and boiled eggs on mine too for the protein. Do you like the Heirloom tomatoes ?? They will make you cry ...... and vidalia onions ....... LOVE THEM!!! I really love Orzo but I gave up pasta for a few months ...... :cry: I have to try your dressing ......I think we have oregano out here at the beach. I am very limited with my spices and stuff.

Cheryl Valadez said...

This looks delicious! I think I'll give it a go ;D

Paulina said...

This looks delicious! If I cooked, I would totally try to make this! LOL

B said...

Dana, thanks for sharing! This sounds like it might be awesome with quinoa too! Your family is vegan right? I've been trying to convince my husband that we should be some-what vegan so I'd appreciate more tasty recipes! I'm somewhat lactose intolerant and so its not like I'd be missing out on cheese or anything. Hah.

Mariah said...

Opa! This looks yummy!

Karin said...

Thanks for the visit to my blog :) This salad looks divine!! Always looking for good Veg/Vegan recipes...We are not,(Sadly there is not one thing we don't eat...lol) but friends and family are. Have a great holiday weekend!

Leah said...

Yummy! Will have to give this a try...but only tomatoes in DH's plate, i can't stand them raw. Hope you have a fabulous weekend:)

Keva said...

Well, that looks yummy!! I might have to try that...great summer salad.

Mara Campbell said...

That salad looks wonderful and the dressing sounds even better. It's going on my to-bake (or cook, or make??) list!!! Have a great weekend Dana!

Sasya said...

ohhhh ♥

:)

Alice said...

mmmm...... this looks so yummy!! =) thanks for sharing!

Julie Campbell said...

Oooh! I wish I could get my kids to eat things like this. It looks Sooooo good!

Courtney Baker said...

Oh yum girl! That looks so good!

Tigriswillreign said...

This looks fabulous! I look forward to trying it!

I actually tried the vegan route, well almost-vegan route, for quite some time. Well, less than a year. I got pregnant and just haven't gotten back into it. Still love the "program" though! ;)

Tammy L said...

Wow, that looks SO yummy!! Thanks for leaving the link for me! I'll have to try this! (Would yo believe I've never bought orzo before?!) :)

kasia c. said...

Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I tried this and it was amazing!!
I hope you don't mind but I pinned it on Pinterest!

http://pinterest.com/pin/105273984/